Stress Analysis of Thin-Walled Laminated Composite Beams under Shear and Torsion
An educational software which can aid students in the stress analysis of thin wall open sections made of composite material has been developed. The software enables students to easily calculate stresses in different shapes of thin wall open section and evaluate the stresses in each ply under shear and torsion. Results obtained through this software have been validated against ANSYS. The software is intended to be an educational tool for effective teaching and learning process on thin-walled structures, aircraft structures and composite structures courses.
2. Carpinteri, A. et al. (2014). The Effect of the Warping Deformation on the Structural Behaviour of Thin-Walled Open Section Shear Walls. Thin-Walled Structures, 84, 335-343.
3. Datoo, M. H. (1991). Mechanics of Fibrous Composites. London: Elsevier Applied Science.
4. Hubert, D. (2013). Numerical Analysis of Stability of Thin-Walled Composite Column with Open Cross-Section. Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering, 17(1), 29-35.
5. Kollar, L. P. and Springer, G. S. (2003). Mechanics of Composite Structures. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
6. Kollar, L.P. and Pluzsik, A. (2002). Analysis of Thin-Walled Composite Beams with Arbitrary Layup. Journal of Reinforce Plastics and Composite, 21(16), 1423-1465.
7. Kollar, L.P. and Pluzsik, A. (2012). Bending and Torsion of Composite Beams. Journal of Reinforce Plastics and Composite, 31(7), 441-480.
8. Lachenal, X., Daynes, S., and Weaver, P.M. (2013). A Non-Linear Stiffness Composite Twisting I-Beam. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 25(6), 744-754.
9. Li, L.Y. and Easterbrook, D. (2014). Free Torsion of Thin-Walled Structural Members of Open and Closed Sections. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 35(1), 25-32.
10. Nurhuda Bt Ismail and Mohamed Ali J.S. (2011) Educational Software for Stress Analysis of Thin- Walled Section 2: Composite Material. ICMAAE’11, May 17-19, IIUM, KualaLumpur.
11. Parambil, J. C. (2010). Stress Analysis of Laminated Composite Beam with I-section. M.Sc. Thesis. The University of Texas at Arlington: Arlington.
12. Sachidananda, G. (2016). Stress Analysis of Laminated Composite Beams with I-Section. Special Issue on International Journal of Recent advances in Engineering & Technology, 4(5), 69-74.
13. Vishal, M.S.S. (2012). Torsional Analysis of a Composite I-Beam. M.Sc. Thesis. The University of Texas at Arlington: Arlington. Retrieved April20, 2012. https://uta-ir.tdl.org/
How to Cite
© Copyright: The Author(s)
Creative Commons: CC BY 4.0
Copyright of articles that appear in International Journal of Engineering Materials and Manufacture (IJEMM) are belonged to “The Author(s)” under terms and conditions of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC BY 4.0). https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode