Mechanical Performance of Cockle Shell Particles (CSP) and Oil Palm Fibre (OPF) Reinforced Epoxy Composite
The effects of particle sizes (range 1, 2 and 3) and particle loading (5wt%, 10wt%, 15wt%, 20wt% and 25wt %) on the mechanical properties (tensile and flexural properties), water absorption properties and morphology analysis (optical microscope) of epoxy composites reinforced with cockle shell particles and hybrid epoxy based composite reinforced with cockle shell particles and oil palm fibres were investigated. Pre-chemical treatment of alkaline solution (NaOH) with 5% concentration was used to treat the oil palm fibre prior to the fabrication of composite. Based on the findings, the composite with smaller size and lower loading of cockle shell particle showed higher improvement in mechanical properties. Meanwhile, the hybrid epoxy based composite reinforced with smaller size of cockle shell particle and oil palm fibre showed enhancement in mechanical properties. For water absorption analysis, cockle shell particle-epoxy composites with lower particle loading showed less water uptake.
2. Yuhazri, M. Y., Phongsakorn, P.T. & Haeryip, S. (2010). A Comparison Process between Vacuum Infusion and Hand Lay-Up Method toward Kenaf/Polyster Composites. International Journal of Basic & Applied Sciences, 10(3), 54-57.
3. Behzad, K. (2011). Effect of calcium carbonate as mineral filler on the physic and mechanical properties of wood based composites, World Applied Science Journal, 13(1), 129-132.
4. Arrakhiz F. Z., El Achaby M, Malha M, Bensalah M.O., Fassi-Fehri, O., Bouhfid, R. (2012). Mechanical and thermal properties of natural fibres reinforced polymer composites: doum/low density polyethylene. Materials and Design, 43, 200-205.
5. Li, Y., Pickering, K. L. (2008). Hemp fibre reinforced composites using chelator and enzyme treatments. Composites Science and Technology, 68(15), 3293-3298.
6. Packham, D. E. (2001). Work of adhesion: contact angles and contact mechanics. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 16(2), 121-128.
7. Nakamura, Y., Yamaguchi, M., Okubo, M. & Matsumoto, T. (1992). Effect of particle size on mechanical properties of epoxy resin filled with angular-shaped silica. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 44(1), 151-158.
8. Gu, J., Ma, L., Gan, M., Zhang, F., Li, W. & Huang, C. (2012). Preparation and thermal properties of poly (2,3-dimethylaniline)/ZrO2 composite. Thermochimica Acta, 549, 13-16.
9. Hussein, A. A., Salim, R. D. & Sultan, A. A. (2011).Water Absorption and Mechanical Properties of High Density Polyethylene/ Egg shell Composite, Journal of Basrah Researches (Sciences), 37(3A), 15.
10. Shuhadah, S., & Kamaruddin (2008). Thermal Analysis, Water Absorption and Morphological Properties of Egg shell Powder filled Low Density Polyethylene Composites, Proceedings of MUCET, UniMAP, Kangar, Perlis, 15-16.
How to Cite
© Copyright: The Author(s)
Creative Commons: CC BY 4.0
Copyright of articles that appear in International Journal of Engineering Materials and Manufacture (IJEMM) are belonged to “The Author(s)” under terms and conditions of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC BY 4.0). https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode