Effect of Nanoparticles on Wettability of Nanocoating on Carbon Steel
Nanocoatings plays an important role in coating industry. The solution was being prepared through copolymerization of epoxy resin hardener and with the incorporation of metal oxide nanoparticles, Zinc Oxide (ZnO) and Silica (SiO2). ZnO and SiO2 were synthesized using sol-gel. Epoxy hardener acted as host while the metal oxide nanoparticles as guest components. The formulation of nanocoatings with excellent adhesion strength and corrosion protection of carbon steel was studied. The performance of wetting ability with different medium was analysed using contact angle. Water medium showed the addition of 3wt% of hybrid between ZnO and SiO2 was the best nanocoating to form hydrophobic surface and was also the best nanocoating surface to form hydrophilic surface with vacuum oil dropping. In oil dropping, the contact angle was smaller than 90Â° and the water drop tends to spreads on surface.
2. Cabrera-Sierra, E.Sosa, M.T. Oropeza, I. Gonzalez. Electrochemical study on carbon corrosion process in alkaline sour media, Electrochimia Acta. 47, (2012) 2149-2158.
3. E. Armelin. Corrosion Protection with Polyaniline and Polypyrole as Anticorrosive Additives for Epoxy Paint, Corrosion Science. 50, (2011) 721-728.
4. A.L.K. Tan & A. M. Soutar. Hybrid Sol-gel Coatings for Corrosion Protection of Copper, Thin Solids Film 516 (2008) 5706-5709.
5. M.Atik & M.A. Aegerter. Corrosion Resistant Sol-Gel ZrO2 on Stainless Steel, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 147 (2009) 236-241.
6. G.X. Shen, Y.C. Chen, C.J. Lin and D. Scantleburry, D. Study on A Hydrophobic Nano TiO2 Coating and its properties for Corrosion Protection of Metals. Electrochimia Acta 50 (2012) 5083-5089.
7. Jianying Shang, Markus Flury , James B. Harsh, and Richard L. Zollars .Comparison of different methods to measure contact angles of soil colloids. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 328 (2008) 299â€“307
8. Hai Trieu Phan, Nadia Caney, Philippe Marty, Stephane Colasson, and Jerome Gavillet. Surface wettability control by nanocoating: The effects on pool boiling heat transfer and nucleation mechanism. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 52 (2009) 5459â€“547
9. Lei Zhai, Fevzi C Ì§ Cebeci, Robert E. Cohen, and Michael F. Rubner. Stable Superhydrophobic Coatings from Polyelectrolyte Multilayers. Nanoletters 4 (2004) 1343â€“1359
10. G.X. Shen, Y.C. Chen, L. Lin, C.J. Lin, and D. Scantlebury. Study on a hydrophobic nano-TiO2 coating and its properties for corrosion protection of metals. Electrochimica Acta 50 (2005) 5083â€“5089
11. Rohit Rosario, Devens Gust, Antonio A. Garcia, Mark Hayes, J. L. Taraci, T. Clement, J. W. Dailey, and S. T. Picraux. Lotus Effect Amplifies Light-Induced Contact Angle Switching J. Phys. Chem. B 108 (2004) 12640-12642
12. Adam Steele, Ilker Bayer, and Eric Loth. Inherently Superoleophobic Nanocomposite Coatings by Spray Atomization. Nanoletters 9 (2009) 501â€“505
How to Cite
© Copyright: The Author(s)
Creative Commons: CC BY 4.0
Copyright of articles that appear in International Journal of Engineering Materials and Manufacture (IJEMM) are belonged to “The Author(s)” under terms and conditions of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC BY 4.0). https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode